It’s the Weekend! TGIF! While some of us work weekends, most of us reserve some time for relaxation, friend time, or a date.
Since I tend to ramble, I thought each Friday I’d sum up the week’s topic so you had some tips to carry you into the weekend. I’ll include a Bible verse or two to tuck into your purse, wallet, or phone. And I’ll include some questions to think on as you’re planning your weekend or standing at the mirror getting ready.
Do you like this idea?
This Week’s Topic
(To tuck into your purse or wallet or phone)
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. —1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)
Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your bodies. —1 Corinthians 6:18–20 (NIV)
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” —Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
Think on These Things
(While you’re planning your weekend or getting ready)
- What does honoring your body, or the temple of the Holy Spirit, mean to you? (Read 1 Corinthians 6:18–20.)
- What does purity mean to you? What are your boundaries? What makes you feel respected and honored?
- Are there things you’re allowing into your life that are making you more vulnerable to temptation? (For example, music choices, websites, magazines, friendships or relationships with people who pressure you or encourage you to do things you’re not comfortable with.)
- What are your plans for the weekend? Are you putting yourself in any vulnerable places? Are you feeling vulnerable? Can you perhaps choose a different location? Invite some friends? Have a friend to call if things get a little too much to handle? Sometimes rescheduling or cancelling is in order. But if you cancel, don’t sit home lonely and sad. Call a friend and do something fun.
- What can you do if you find yourself in a place of temptation this weekend? Do you have someone you can call? A code word or gesture for a friend?
- Remember, you have a choice. Even if you’ve stumbled in the past, even five minutes ago, you can make the next right choice.
- Repeat after me: You are NOT a prude if you have boundaries and standards, even if others say so or make you feel that way. You are high quality. You are worth it. The right person will respect you even more for them.
To Sum It Up
There is always a choice when faced with temptation. We can learn to recognize those moments of choice and what circumstances and triggers might bring them on. We can have safety nets in place to help us through them. We can have a phrase or Bible verse to repeat to ourselves when we fear the rejection or judgment our choice might bring. We can even put such Bible verse in our purse, wallet, or phone for such times we need it.
You are worth it!
Make the next right choice.
Have a great weekend!